Friday, March 28, 2014

Meet more of 2014's Plein Air Artists

Dot Courson
Hometown: Pontotoc, MS
Medium: Oil


Mississippi native Dot Courson is a full-time artist whose art depicts the beautiful southern landscapes of Mississippi, Tennessee,
Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina. She has traveled the US painting and photographing the scenery but still prefers the beauty of the southern landscape.  She also does still life paintings, and portraits of good folks who have character and integrity.

Dot took her first art courses in college where she obtained a Master’s in Nursing/ Healthcare Administration. She worked as a registered nurse, nurse administrator and taught nursing for several years while painting part-time and studying privately with the late Billy Kirk -- a noted and respected Mississippi artist who she considers her true mentor.

Courson’s goal in painting is to remind the viewer of the beauty of the ever changing landscape—not to paint a photographic likeness but to interpret the light and atmosphere and essence of the subject as she sees it and feels it.





Amanda Leigh Lovett
Hometown: Gainesville, GA
Medium: Oil

Born and raised near Atlanta, Georgia, Amanda Lovett has always had a fascination with drawing.  After graduation from the Atlanta Portfolio Center, she worked for the advertising firm of McDonald and Little in Atlanta until founding Image Impact, a full service-advertising agency.
While still working in advertising, Lovett studied watercolor landscape under Frank Broadhurst. Making the decision to be a full time painter and switching to oils, she has continued seeking instruction, studying with David Leffel, Bill Davidson and Peggy Everett, as well as several local instructors. She is currently represented by galleries in Georgia, Utah, and Wyoming, Carder shows her work in regional fine art shows

Artist Statement:
“I find myself looking at life with increasing wonder as I grow as an artist. I am surrounded by a world of beautiful moments; my desire is to express the simple details that make those moments exceptional.”




Millie Gosch
Hometown: College Park, GA
Medium: Oil


 A native of Newnan, Georgia, Millie Gosch finds the lowlands and rural fields in the area and the marshes and waters of coastal Georgia inspirations for her landscape paintings.

She pursued her passion in art studies at Salem College in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Later, she returned to her native Georgia and settled in the Atlanta area. After a successful career in the decorative arts, Ms. Gosch returned to her first love of fine arts.

I love to paint from life and I love to be outdoors, so naturally painting en plein air is a good fit for my art. During the spring and fall, I spend a lot of time painting field studies. From those studies, I paint larger pieces in the studio. I don’t use photographs at all. I paint what I know, and what I love is nature. My favorite subjects are big open fields, sunrises, sunsets, trees, the lowcountry, and the southland. I use a limited palette of primary colors. In my work I strive to bring my viewer into the painting and let them make it their own experience. .

She is active in bringing well-know plein air painters to the Southeast to teach workshops. Ms. Gosch has won several awards, most recently as a finalist in the prestigious RayMar Second Annual Fine Art Competition with her oil painting “Sunrise in Summer.”

Artist’s Statement: “For me, art is an expression of my love of nature. The colors and energy of the outdoors create in me a need to capture those qualities in a permanent way. I especially love serene landscapes, and I try to simplify them to highlight that serenity. With my brushstrokes I hope to take the viewer to a special place:  the quiet reflection of a special moment in time.”


No comments:

Post a Comment